On a typical day, FlyBarre Seattle instructor Sarah Lustbader might teach class, zip off to a dance rehearsal, jump over to her office job and finally head home to bury her nose in accounting books. Her week is sprinkled with dance and yoga classes, walks around her favorite lake and studying or making playlists at coffee shops. Still, she loves to spend part of her day at the Barre, inspiring her clients to seize the moment and leave all their worries on the mat. As a professional dancer, Sarah has learned to juggle her schedule while always striving for balance. Since she is often on the go, her gym bag is stocked with essentials that keep her fresh, focused and energized throughout the day. Take a look at her must-haves:
- Acure Leave-In Conditioner: I love this stuff! Whether I’m freshening up to teach class or getting ready for work, a few sprays and my curls feel moisturized and refreshed. Plus, it smells great!
- Earth Science Liken Plant Deodorant: Aluminum and paraben-free, this deodorant is the best natural-focused option I’ve found that actually works for me! When exercise is your profession, smelling good is, too! I break a sweat multiple times a day, and I always feel confident with this product in my bag.
- Spry Peppermint Gum: I always have gum with me. I recently switched to Spry, and am never going back. It is made with Xylitol, which is actively beneficial for your teeth. I love the taste and it doesn’t last too long (which is a good thing for my gum-loving jaw!). I chew them two at a time.
- Weleda Everon® Lip Balm: This is the best! It’s low-key, moisturizing and made with quality ingredients. It also has a hint of rose and a subtle shine
- The Body Deli® Amber Vanilla Lotion: I instantly feel rejuvenated and grounded when I apply this lotion. It is beyond blissful and I always get compliments on it. Not only is the smell divine, but it also does wonders for my skin. The ingredients are all organic superfoods, cold-pressed and essential oils.
- Tennis Ball: Ask anyone who knows me: I have surprisingly horrible hand-eye coordination, but luckily the tennis ball is for something else! I use it to massage out trouble spots in my shoulders, IT Band, feet and hamstrings. A few minutes rolling around on this super cheap, effective and accessible prop does wonders for my fatigued and tight muscles. A mini massage in a bag!
- Wellness Formula: At the first sign of a sore throat, fatigue or stress I start taking a few full drops of this herbal immunity booster daily. I swear by it. And you get used to the taste…
- Almond Walnut Macadamia Kind Plus Bar: I buy these bars in bulk and always have one or two in my bag for those midday emergencies. They have 10 grams of protein, are low in sugar and have enough low glycemic calories to keep me going if I feel my energy drop in between meals.
What song is stuck in your head this week?
Flawless by Beyoncé
What’s the weirdest thought that has popped into your head while teaching?
During my first week teaching FlyBarre, I led the class through a seat song. I looked in awe at the strength, determination and focus in the room. I thought to myself: “What would happen if I never said stop? I think they might actually keep pulsing forever…I better say stop!
MORE FROM THE FLY BLOG
See what Women’s Health beauty editor Jill Percia keeps in her gym bag.
“We have both seen the benefits of our new Fly routine – and it’s not just about weighing less, or better fitting clothes. It’s also about feeling much stronger and a thousand times healthier.” Read Lauren and Alan Silver’s amazing success story here.
See what Flywheel LA instructor Kristie LaTray keeps in her gym bag.
KEEP IT SOCIAL
Follow Flywheel Sports here on Facebook.
Follow Flywheel Sports here on Twitter.