We’ve never met a 5 Napkin Burger that we didn’t like. Classic, Barbeque, Turkey…they always leave us wanting more. But when the professionals at 5 Napkin Burger in Boston told us that they could make a salad equally as delicious, we had our doubts. Could it really be that good? How could something in a bowl compete with something on a bun? Boy were we wrong!
Flywheel instructor Rachele Pojednic worked closely with 5 Napkin Burger to create the delicious Flywheel Salad designed to reinvigorate our riders after a killer class. Filled with greens, vegetables and protein, the amazingly powerful salad helps the body rebuild, reduce inflammation and fire up metabolism post-workout. It also tastes good!
Here, nutritionist Arielle Haspel breaks down each ingredient and helps us understand why the Flywheel Salad is the perfect go-to after any sweat session:
- Romaine: Surprisingly high in protein, calcium and magnesium, romaine is great to eat as a post-workout meal to help refuel and rebuild your muscles. One head of romaine lettuce provides about 20 oz of water so it’s cooling and hydrating for the body and especially good to eat in the spring and summer. Romaine also purifies the blood helping your body cleanse and detox on its own.
- Avocado: A great creamy alternative to heart-clogging cheese that will keep you satisfied and satiated.
- Grilled Corn: 1 cup adds about 5g of fiber, not to mention it adds a boost of bright color to the salad.
- Chickpeas: High in protein at about 7g for ½ cup.
- Shaved Eggs: Some of the best nutrients reside in the rich egg yolk such as lutein, and vitamins A,D, E and K. Great for your hair, eyes and skin.
- Cucumbers: Also hydrating and cooling for the body.
- Cherry Tomatoes: High in lycopene, which increases heart health and decreases bad cholesterol. They also contain vitamin c and potassium, which help regulate blood pressure.
- Raw Broccoli: It’s high-alkaline content wards off cancer and colds; however if you have thyroid issues, ask for this on the side.
- Shaved Carrots: High in beta-carotene, carrots are good for your eyes and help improve circulation.
- Feta Cheese: Adds a perfect salty flavor to the salad, is lower in fat than other cheeses and is a great addition for a post-workout meal because it contains linoleic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid and antioxidant that may promote abdominal fat loss.
- *Optional Chipotle Chicken: Adds a dose of lean fat and protein with a bacon-flavor, without the extra saturated fat.
- Citrus Vinaigrette Dressing: Adds a light and flavorful punch. Ask for it on the side and add some lemon for some alkalinity and extra vitamin c!
Five foundational nutrition tips for Flywheel athletes.