Jill Percia, Beauty Editor at Women’s Health Magazine
As the Beauty Editor at Women’s Health magazine, I place a lot of importance on feeling, looking, and, of course, being healthy. But it wasn’t always that way. Two years ago—a time when I’d regularly skip workouts to go to happy hour—a beauty brand hosted an event at Flywheel (to launch waterproof mascara!), and I took my first ride ever. The rest is history! I soon became hooked on the music, pushing myself to new limits, the mood-boosting endorphin rush (you haven’t lived until you’ve done a tap back in third position), the inspiring instructors, and the body-changing results. Now, I ride at least four times a week and credit Flywheel for being the “aha!” moment for my health—and my newfound love for fitness.
The bag: It’s not the bag you typically see beauty editors toting around, but my Marc by Marc Jacobs backpack combines fashion with function, and holds everything I need to take me from class to conference room. Here’s what’s inside:
- Facial Wipes: When you sweat as much as I do, it’s important to keep your skin clean and makeup-free when you work out. Before an evening class, I’ll use Yes To Cucumbers Facial Wipes to take off the day’s makeup and after, I use a Dermalogica Skin Purifying Wipe to really detox. Good skin is worth the extra steps.
- Lip Balm: How do people work out without it? I always sneak in a swipe (or six) before class—my favorites are John Masters Organics Lip Calm and Pangea Organics Lip Balms.
- My Anti-Redness Arsenal: I do some flushed face damage control with Aveeno Ultra-Calming Daily Moisturizer SPF 15 and Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick. So quick and easy!
- Change of clothing: My uniform is black pants, moto boots, and every color of American Apparel Tri-Blend Racerback Tanks—every few months I buy a ton and wear some to work out, and some to actual work. Top it with a blazer and I’m good to go.
- Gum: Orbit Spearmint!
- Ear buds: My sanity during my hour-long commute from Brooklyn.
- Fitbit Flex: Just wearing it reminds me to be active even off the bike—i.e., take stairs instead of escalator, get off a subway stop earlier and walk. When I Fly, I loop it into the Velcro of my shoes for more accurate tracking.
- Snacks: There’s always an apple and a Quest Bar in my bag. Nature’s candy and protein keep my insatiable sweet tooth in check!
Sign up now to take class at Flywheel NYC.
See what Flywheel Boston instructor Christina Lodde carries in her gym bag.