FlyBarre Instructor Daniella Ortega shares her go-to healthy (and gluten-free) dinner recipe: Zucchini Noodle Carbonara. This is a delicious and healthy alternative for pasta lovers and perfect for a warm winter meal.
DANIELLE’S GLUTEN-FREE ZUCCHINI NOODLE CARBONARA
Serves: 4 cups
Time: 30 minutes (including prep and cook time)
4 slices of smoked bacon (6 button mushrooms for vegetarians)
1 tablespoon of plain FAGE Total Greek Yogurt
3 medium zucchinis (washed and prepped)
3 cloves of garlic (diced)
⅓ cup shredded parmesan (omit if keeping to a strict vegan or paleo diet)
Note: You will also need a vegetable spiralizer device for this recipe. If you don’t own one, they are easily found at Bed Bath & Beyond and are worth every penny. I use mine all the time — easy to use and better yet, super easy to clean!
1. In a large pan, slowly cook the bacon on a low setting and flip when slightly browned. You want to render the most fat possible and make the bacon perfectly crunchy, so don’t rush it.
2. When bacon has been crisped, remove from pan and set aside.
3. Add garlic to pan and let brown on a low flame for around 5 minutes. You don’t want it to burn.
4. Spiralize zucchini noodles, and add to pan with bacon grease and garlic.
5. Cook on high until browned and most of the liquid has drained.
6. Drain excess liquid, then return pan to stove and turn to medium.
7. Add cheese and yogurt, stirring frequently.
8. Crumble bacon and stir in to noodles.
9. When sauce thickens, remove from stove and plate. Enjoy!